Tuesday, April 21, 2009

We are on a roll!

Not even a cold and rainy day in Chicago could keep us down today as we found out that Jodi has no cancer in her bones! Apparently there are two types of bone scans, one that is extremely painful and one that borders on relaxing. Jodi was fortunate enough to have the latter. We had to be at the hospital bright and early yesterday morning so that Jodi could get injected with a radioactive dye. After sitting in the waiting room for 10 minutes, Jodi reappeared and said we needed to be back in two hours, which was the estimated period of time it would take for the dye to spread throughout Jodi's bones. Upon our return from breakfast, she went back and apparently fell sound asleep on the hospital bed as they took pictures of her to determine whether the dye was flowing freely through her bones...this procedure was definitely a step up from her last biopsy on the comfort scale. More importantly, the test results indicated that Jodi has.....degenerative arthritis. What a relief! I don't know much about degenerative arthritis, but I do know it is a much better diagnosis than bone cancer. Isn't it funny how one can become desensitized to the immaterial (to put it in audit terms) things...three weeks ago the degenerative arthritis thing might have tripped us up, but now it doesn't matter.

"Optimism is the foundation of courage"

8 comments:

  1. To a true champ among champs:


    Look straight ahead.
    What do I see?
    Why, that’s just a small bump in the road ahead of me.

    I wonder what it’s made of.
    What could it be?
    Gum balls, lemon drops or snaggleberries from a snaggletree.

    Maybe it’s magical, mystical, shiny or bright.
    Like dust from a rainbow or a shooting star in the night.

    I bet it moves, jumps, dives, and or rolls.
    And acts just like a group of swirly, burly, happy-go-lucky trolls.

    It probably zigs and zags, wigs and wags and floats up and down.
    Making it’s way from coast to coast, road to road, and town to town.

    Oh, I got it now. Yep I’m on it. It does this for certain.
    It brings love to the lives of the strong and most definitely to the hurtin’.

    Wait.
    What’s that you say?
    This bump is bad and dangerous in each and every way?!

    Step back. Back up. Stand still. Don’t go any farther.
    But living in one spot, at a distance, with my head down, why bother?!

    No.
    I don’t think so.
    I’ll have to disagree.
    It’s not bad. I’m not sad. And this small bump will not scare me.

    Nope.
    Not me. Not today. Not tomorrow or any day.
    Not even in an itsy, bitsy, slightest, smallest, tiniest kind of way.

    It’s just a small bump in the road and one I can see past.
    I hear what you’re saying, but let’s be honest this bump will not be my last.

    We are who we are, and that’s no more than the roads we’ve traveled.
    Show me one road in one town that doesn’t have a bump, and I’ll be bedazzled.

    But this bump I’m taking with me as I continue to explore-
    The whose-its, the whats-its, and the hows-its galore.

    Why?
    Because I’ll be able to.
    I know that to my core.
    I’ll make this bump portable by not making it anything more.

    Not a mound, mountain or molehill, no thank you, that’s not for me.
    Just a small bump from the road coming along on my long journey.

    That’s right.
    I’ll choose it.
    Just like it chose me.
    I’ll wear it like a badge for all fellow travelers to see.

    And as I continue to go along-
    to see more bumps and take more lumps.
    This badge of courage will remind me.
    That every bump in my road is exactly what has made me, well…me.



    Much love to you Jodes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! That is such terrific news! Also loved that Jodi could even get a little nap out of it! :)

    Love,
    A.J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jodi and Jason~

    I am following this blog and am praying for you both. Please know that you are surrounded by people who love you and are here to support you. I believe that God is going to do a great, healing work in your lives!

    Love,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete